Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS)
Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) is a relatively new procedure used in the diagnosis of lung cancer, infections, and other diseases causing enlarged lymph nodes in the chest. Currently, Horizon Hospital is proud to be one of the few Hospitals in Mumbai to offer EBUS, a minimally invasive procedure that has proven highly effective.
Why is it used?
- EBUS allows physicians to perform a technique known as Transbronchial Needle Aspiration (TBNA) to obtain tissue or fluid samples from the lungs and surrounding lymph nodes without conventional surgery. The samples can be used for diagnosing and staging lung cancer, detecting infections, and identifying inflammatory diseases that affect the lungs such as, sarcoidosis or other cancers like lymphoma.
What makes EBUS different?
- The physician can perform needle aspiration on lymph nodes using a bronchoscope inserted through the mouth
- A special endoscope fitted with an ultrasound processor and a fine-gauge aspiration needle is guided through the patient’s trachea
- No incisions are necessary
Benefits of EBUS
- Provides real-time imaging of the surface of the airways, blood vessels, lungs, and lymph nodes
- The improved images allow the physician to easily view difficult-to-reach areas and to access more and smaller lymph nodes for biopsy with the aspiration needle than through conventional mediatinoscopy
- The accuracy and speed of the EBUS procedure lends itself to rapid onsite pathologic evaluation. Pathologists in the operating room can process and examine biopsy samples as they are obtained and can request additional samples to be taken immediately if needed
- EBUS is performed under moderate sedation or general anaesthesia
- Patients recover quickly and can generally go home the same day
Horizon has a rapid response service to reach to the patient immediately after call.
Horizon Hospital is empanelled to following TPAs for cashless facility,
Comprising of two ambulances. One is state-of-the-art advanced care ambulance and other is the basic ambulance.
Horizon Hospital Co-orporate Download Broucher